Get to Know David West
David and his wife Michelle are long-time residents of Richmond Hill, have raised their family here and are well known for building a successful small business.
Over 18 years ago, David joined his first community committee as a volunteer, and has been actively engaged in initiatives and groups that work to make Richmond Hill a vibrant community.
In 2013, David was appointed Ward 4 Councillor and was re-elected in 2014 and again in 2018. In January 2022, he ran in a by-election when former mayor Dave Barrow retired, defeating a slate of eight other candidates – three of them serving councillors
David has a solid reputation for working collaboratively across diverse groups and interests, bringing a balanced and practical perspective to every role he takes on. He has consistently emphasized the importance of community input and provided timely updates on the progress of initiatives, committees, and planning applications. David is a dedicated supporter of the arts and is well known for his advocacy on environmental sustainability. His annual Maple Syrup Festival and Eco Fest events are calendar highlights for families in the community.
As a ward councillor and now mayor, David likes to refer to himself as a ‘servant leader’.His monthly ward and mayor’s newsletters have always been a must read –keeping his constituents up to date on important matters before council, community events, as well as meetings and consultations.
Boards and Committees
Never one to miss an opportunity, David has served on numerous volunteer and municipal committees. The following are just a sample:
● Richmond Hill Village Business Improvement Area Association (BIA) Board Member
● Richmond Hill Board of Trade as Government Affairs Committee Chair and Chair of the Board
● Richmond Hill Board of Trade Council Liaison
● Richmond Hill Small Business Enterprise Centre Advisory Committee
● Committee of Adjustment
Arts & Culture
● Richmond Hill Winter Carnival Committee
● Heritage Richmond Hill Member
● Heritage Centre Advisory Committee Member
● Chair of the Cultural Leadership Council
● Richmond Hill Philharmonic Orchestra Board
● Richmond Hill Ward 4 Maple Syrup Festival
● Youth Action Committee Council Liaison
● Chair of the Affordable Housing Implementation Task Force
● Smart Commute Markham Richmond Hill Advisory Board
● Town of Richmond Hill Yonge St Subway Advisory Task Force
● Richmond Hill Official Plan Development Committee
● Vice Chair Richmond Hill Official Plan Update Committee
● People Plan Task Force Member
● Mackenzie Health President’s Advisory Board Member
● Mackenzie Health Foundation Strides for Stroke Organizing Committee
● Member of Recover Richmond Hill Task Force
● Yellow Brick House Board
A look at David’s voting record as a ward councillor and now as mayor provides a window into the kind of city he wants for his family and yours.
● Support for development that aligns with our Official Plan and provides positive growth for the city
● Support and advocacy for the development of more choices in affordable housing
● Improvement in quality of life through such programs as the Traffic Operations Study,
the elimination of green and blue bin replacement fees, as well as initiatives to expand and improve our parklands
Support for the Community Energy and Emissions Plan
Protection for the natural environment and fighting climate change
Reduction in Single Use Plastics in our community
More protection for the fragile Oak Ridges Moraine lands
The Urban Forest Management Plan
The Bee City and Mayor’s Monarch Pledge to increase habitat for Monarchs and pollinating insects
● Expanded support for arts and culture
● Support for diversity and multi-culturalism, including our recently passed Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Framework and the Age Friendly Community Initiative
- Graduated University of Toronto in 1989 with a BA in Physical Geography, with a focus on Environmental Studies.
- Obtained a Bachelor of Education in 1990 from the University of Toronto.