Last week I talked about three questions that were being posed repeatedly as the campaign team and I were going door to door, and during a number of chat sessions with residents. These three questions were:
1. Why Should You Vote for Me?
2. What is My Vision for Richmond Hill?
3. How Can I Help?
I received a lot of positive feedback to the last email update, but a lot of people also wanted to know why I thought I was the best choice in the upcoming by-election. So here goes:
Reason #1 – Experience
I bring over 18 years of continuous involvement in municipal and community committees and associations before, and during, my time on Council including:
- Richmond Hill Village Business Improvement Area Association – Board Member
- Richmond Hill Board of Trade – Government Affairs Committee Chair and Chair of the Board
- Richmond Hill Winter Carnival Committee
- 2021 Richmond Hill Official Plan Review – Vice Chair
- Richmond Hill Board of Trade – Council Liaison
- Heritage Richmond Hill Member
- Youth Action Committee – Council Liaison
- Mackenzie Health President’s Advisory Board Member
- Cultural Leadership Council – Chair
- Richmond Hill Philharmonic Orchestra Board Member
- Richmond Hill Ward 4 Maple Syrup Festival Founder
I have served as the Ward 4 Councillor for almost nine years.
During this time, I have earned a reputation as a responsive, responsible, trustworthy and hardworking Councillor who always puts the interests of residents front and centre in all decisions, and who works hard to keep residents informed. There are many ways I have demonstrated this commitment including:
- I keep residents well informed by sending a monthly newsletterfocused on important items before Council, important community events, and meetings and consultations that residents may wish to be involved in.
- I have organized and facilitated numerous Town Hall sessionsfocusing on issues of development and issues that impact our daily lives in Richmond Hill.
- I actively promote the involvement of community members in presenting their perspectives to Council and ensure that I do my homework to understand community concerns and issues.
Reason #2 – My Track Record On Important Issues
I am proud of my voting record on the important matters that come before Council.
I have consistently advocated for and voted for programs that support our natural environment and look to address climate change including:
- The Community Energy and Emissions Plan
- Richmond Hill’s Plan to reduce the use of Single Use Plastics in our community
- Voted to keep the protected Oak Ridges Moraine lands protected
- The Urban Forest Management Plan
- The Bee City and Mayor’s Monarch Pledge to increase habitat for Monarchs and pollinating insects
- I have consistently supported development projects that align with our Official Plan, and which provide positive growth opportunities for the City. I have consistently not supported projects that are not aligned with our Official Plan and/or, are inconsistent with the neighbourhoods they impact.
- I have consistently voted to support and promote Arts & Cultural programs in Richmond Hill.
- I have actively supported and advocated for programs and policies that support the development of more affordable housing choices for Richmond Hill residents.
- I have a strong record of voting for programs that support diversity and multi-culturalism, including our recently passed Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Framework and the Age Friendly Community Initiative.
- I have consistently supported or moved motions that improve the quality of life of our residents such as the Traffic Study, eliminating green/blue bin fees, Park development, and many others.