As we approach the end of 2021, and the beginning of 2022, it is normal to both look back, and look forward. While 2021 brought many challenges to all of us, it also reminded me, in so many ways, why I love this City. All through the year, we saw residents pulling together to help each other out, and truly engage in their neighbourhood and community. We saw hopeful signs of businesses re-opening, arts events being planned and held, and, while many events had to still be held virtually, there was a sense of hope that “next year” we would gather together. The number of people using our trails, our parks, and other outdoor community resources was remarkable, and I have lost count of the number of times people have said to me “I had no idea we had such great outdoor areas to explore so close to home”. While the latest COVID variant has, temporarily, reduced the momentum of returning to whatever our new normal will look like, it has not extinguished the hope that we will get there.
On a personal level, I wanted to take a moment and THANK all of you who have joined me on this journey as a Mayoral candidate in the upcoming by-election in January, 2022. From the moment I registered as a candidate on October 26th,to today, the overwhelming level of support and enthusiasm for my candidacy has been breath-taking and humbling. Your support has confirmed for me every day that I made the right decision to run to become the next Mayor of Richmond Hill.
Looking Forward to 2022
As we head into the last few weeks of the campaign, I am excited about the upcoming all-candidate events on January 11th, 2022 (hosted by the Council Accountability Group) and on January 18th, 2022 (hosted by the Richmond Hill Board of Trade). I am also looking forward to “meeting” more of you in our virtual fireside chats and, hopefully, getting back out door to door canvassing, if public health guidance allows. More information on these events will be coming out shortly.
I want to close by reconfirming the seven key elements of my platform – these are my commitments that underpin everything I have done as the Ward 4 Councillor for the past 8 years and which will continue to guide me as the next Mayor of Richmond Hill.
- Consistently support development projects that align with our Official Plan, provide positive growth opportunities for the City and fit in with the neighbourhoods they impact.
- Ensure that, as we grow as a community, we remain committed to a sustainable and healthy environment.
- Consistently promote Diversity, Equity and Inclusion as the foundation for building a community that welcomes and provides opportunities for everyone.
- Ensure our city departments effectively and efficiently deliver a broad range of services that support our communities.
- Provide positive leadership through collaboration between Council, Staff, Community Groups, Residents and Business Owners.
- Continue to put community safety as a critical element of our future plans.
- Continue to support arts and culture as a key foundation for a vibrant city.